Wednesday 24 April 2013

My Myositis Story


I was diagnosed with Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM) when I was three years old. Prior to getting JDM, I was a healthy, energetic and active boy. It started off as a rash around my face and soon my muscles in my legs and arms became very weak. It wasn't long before I could no longer walk and I could not perform simple tasks such as being able to dress myself. I was on two forms of medication: prednisolone and methotrexate. 

I have been JDM free and medication free since I was eight years old. I am thirty one now. Every year gets a little better and I get a little stronger and I'm enjoying great health. The road to recovery has certainly been a long one. In the years since having JDM, I have graduated university. I now run a business with my dad, I'm a keen musician and I'm actively involved in promoting awareness of Juvenile Myositis. Through my work I have had the privilege of meeting some amazing people including some amazing kids and young adults, both in Australia and overseas. They continue to inspire me.

LB.


No comments:

Post a Comment